Friday, October 30, 2009

Book of Revelations

Think back 5 years or so. You are deciding where to go to college? What is factoring into your decision?
I was unmotivated in my search for a college. There was only one that I wanted to go to and it was a longshot. My backup plan was Seton Hall and it was the only school that I demonstrated any kind of emotion when I was accepted into. I applied and was accepted into Hofstra, Drexel, La Salle, Sacred Heart, and the University of New Haven. To be truthful I didn't really give a damn about any of them. The one school that rejected was the University of Michigan. Generally I was excited about college because you always heard how great it was. I just didn't want to go anywhere other than Michigan.
Criteria for Decision?
I knew that a school with smaller class sizes would suit me
Good Business School
Closer location
Some type of quality football or basketball team

I felt a general apathy towards going to attending a college away from home and not knowing anyone. This in hindsight was a mistake but more on that later. I decided not to play football and pick up pro wrestling. I decided that living in a city was probably a good idea. I wanted to know my roommate and I wanted to be close to my girlfriend. This made La Salle a decent fit. I was happy to learn that I could have a car on campus and live in the city. Seton Hall had me in fear of being trapped on campus. I was also concerned about the environment at basketball games because of the distance from campus.

Part of me wishes that I played football. At the time I was satisfied with trying a new activity and watching and attending Michigan Football games. It's frustrating knowing that I can't go back and play now because you can bet your ass I can still contribute. Living in the city of Philadelphia was a vastly better decision than living in the Newark area. However the campus life may have been superior at Seton Hall. I was glad to be hanging around Philadelphia area people as opposed to New York area people. I am glad to be working in the Philadelphia area as opposed to the New York area.

Going to a school without knowing anyone has its advantages if you can make it through the rough start. As I have begun writing this paragraph I am realizing that I probably would not have survived at many other schools. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment