Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Favorite WWE/WCW Wrestlers of my lifetime

This list does not take into account time spent in ECW of other organizations outside my lifetime. It focuses on how interesting their character was to me in the moment and looking back. Mid Card favorites like Hacksaw Jim Duggan are not on this list.

1.Hulk Hogan- Probably the reason I watch(ed) wrestling. Charisma is a term that gets thrown around alot in wrestling but no one had it more than Hulk Hogan. Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania III still gives me chills. "I am a Real American, fight for the rights of ever man," the lyrics in his music was exactly who he was. He challenged the all anti Americans and fought for the Hulkamaniacs. Everything about Hogan was awesome (except his in ring work) and I do not need to go into detail here.
2.Stone Cold Steve Austin- The captain of the "attitude" era. Stone Cold was one tough SOB. He did not give a shit about autority and fought with the boss. He managed to increase his popularity even when he was out with a neck injury. His heel turn at Wrestlemania 17 remains the turning point in his career and more importantly for the WWE. Stone Cold was never able to gain traction as a heel because he was so over with the fans. WWE was bringing in WCW and ECW Talent and screwed the whole thing up.
3.Sting- He was in WCW before the influx from WWF came and he was my favorite to watch. I remember him before the black and white days.
4.Shawn Michaels- One of the best entrance songs of all time. I remember when he turned on Marty Jennety. A flourishing singles career and the man who put the ladder match on the map. He was my favorite when Hulk Hogan left for WCW. He was founding member of DX and if not for back problems he would have stayed in the picture. His return at Summerslam 2002 (Street Fight with Triple H) was unreal and remains one of my favorite matches.
5.Triple H- Trips is high on the list because he has been around for so long. He has always been relevant because he has been able to go back and forth between heel and face. I prefer him as a heel and he played the role particularly well against Stone Cold and the Rock because he wasn't quite as popular as the two.
6. The Rock- The Rock is buried on this list for most people. However, at no point was he my favorite wrestler. I was a Stone Cold fan and at no point would I have called the Rock my favorite wrestler on the show. He was masterful on the mic and coined so many catch phrases. He could say something that was stupid and not funny and the crowd would still cheer. With the help of Stone Cold, the Rock was an effective heel as well.
7. Mankind/Cactus Jack/Mick Foley/Dude Love- Ok so obviously his work outside of WWF/WCW would bump him higher up the list. The guy can flat out take a bump. Everyone remembers the falls for the Hell in a Cell at King of the Ring 1998. He was the most hardcore person inside of the WWF. He came up from ECW and Japan and was watered down in the big leagues but still great. Working in the WWF forced him to expand his characters and if not for Stone Cold going down to injury he might never have touched the WWF Title.
8. Mr. Kennedy...Kennedy- I was kinda outta wresting when he debuted but I noticed him when I picked up a cheap copy of WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007. He is as good on the mic as the Rock but never got his push because he was repeatedly injured. He missed his push several times due to injuries and the WWE reluctance to push him because he was injury prone. Eventually he was released. Kennedy could have been a huge star but that won't happen in the WWE. It goes to show that timing is everything in the business.
9.Ahmed Johnson- I'll admit I stuck with the WWF when WCW had them on the ropes and for a time Ahmed Johnson was my favorite wrestler on the program. He was the first black wrestler to hold the Intercontinental Title and was poised for major push. He was set to challenge for the WWF Title but suffered legit kidney issues. By the time he recovered he was left playing second fiddle to Faarooq. Faarooq eventually gave way to the Rock and Ahmed Johnson was gone. Ahmed Johnson's timing was perfect when he came on to the scene. The WWF had lost a ton of its talent to WCW and if not for the medical issues he may have became a big star.
10. Undertaker- This pick was tough because any number of guys could be here. Edge was strongly considered but I'm just not a fan of his Rated R superstar gimmick (I will admit it is done really well, I just loved his old gimmick). DDP was an option as well. It's hard to go wrong with the Deadman. His character is so unique and he's been so big for so long. Remember when he grabbed the belt from Hogan in his prime at Survivor Series and lost it six days later at Tuesday in Texas. I'll admit I even enjoyed his American Badass gimmick because it gave the Deadman a much needed break. The undefeated at Wrestlemania has gotten a little old but you can't kill the magic there.

2 comments:

  1. good list but ur forgetting the one and only nature boy rick flair wooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never liked Ric Flair. He was always a heel to me.

    ReplyDelete