Thursday, October 1, 2009

Graduated, Now What?

Being 22 wasn't supposed to be like this. It's hard to believe that 17 years of schooling leads us to this point. All that hard work was finally going to pay off, things were going to be great. I thought my life was just beginning. My parents told me I could be anything I wanted. Thanks for lying to me Mom and Dad. I never dreamed I would be working for the government. I never wanted to be traveling to banks in the middle of nowhere and sit at a computer all day.


If you didn't get that dream job when you graduated out of college or don't even know what that might be for you, welcome. Welcome to about 98% of the population. If your lucky, you have a job, but it's probably not anything that satisfies you. Either your still living at home or your living on your own and struggling to make rent. Life isn't what you thought it would be right now. You are not who your parents said you would be. You are not that "special snowflake". It's a harsh reality right now. Your trying to figure out what you are supposed to do with your life because you want to change your situation. Part of you wants to go back to college where you left you had less responsibility and more fun. You had more friends around. You partied during the week and life was good. You probably didn't realize just how good.

Flash forward to the present. You are trying to maintain fading friendships, and struggling to make new ones. You work the bar scene to meet new girls, but it's not as easy as it was in college. "Hey you want to come hang out at my parent's house, it's a short trip over the bridge?" Yea life is a little frustrating right now. Your in between two phases of your life and your eager to see what is on the horizon. The wait is probably killing you.

I don't have all the answers because I'm still trying to figure it out to. I hold out hope that things will turn out ok. I'm confident that I will find a good place to live and have a good group of friends. Eventually, I will have a job that I kinda like and a girl that I'm crazy about. Here's to hoping we figure it out sooner rather than later. We're in this together.

This is a topic that will surely be revisited in the future but for now I encourage you to read something that has helped me. http://mgoblog.com/content/age-miracles I swear there is a profound message in between the sports and general awkwardness.

No comments:

Post a Comment